Do I have a right to force a mortgage on my neighbor?
- If you’re really not sure on an issue, try applying the Golden Rule or ask yourself if you willing to accept the costs associated with passage of the issue. Ask yourself if you have a right to compel your neighbor to accept those costs.
- It’s okay to leave a blank circle if you feel neither answer/candidate fits your view. Just fill in the circle where you have conviction that your choice is a good one.
- Look at who is sponsoring the candidates. Generally they will be in the same political classification.
- Unions tend to support bigger government legislation. Also, Unions lean toward the social freedom and economic control ideals.
- Centrist/moderates appear to be trying to get as many votes as they can, thus identify themselves as centrist/moderate to hit what they feel the majority of the population leans to. This is not necessarily desirable if you have strong ideals where you feel your representative should be unwavering.
Classical Liberal: Juris naturalist. One who believes that the country should have a small, weak government, and free markets, and that the individual is endowed by his Creator with inalienable rights to his life, liberty, and property. Also, one who believes in Natural Law and common law, or Higher Law.
Conservative: A person on the right side of the left-right political spectrum. Conservatives believe in economic freedom and social control.
Democrat: A person on the left side of the political spectrum.
Juris Naturalist: syn. Classical liberal. Believes in Higher Law or Natural Law, that right and wrong are not matters of opinion. Believes political power corrupts both morals and judgment. Wants a government that is small and growing smaller.
Liberal: A person on the left side of the left-right political spectrum. Liberals believe in social freedom and economic control.
Moderate: One who is in the middle of the left-right political spectrum. Moderates advocate both economic encroachment and social encroachment, but perhaps not to the extremes that left and right do.
Progressive: One who is on the left side of the political spectrum.
See my Terms Defined page for more info.