*What I have done in the past with this guide is not compensated and takes dozens of hours of research and interviews. While some time is spent transcribing much of my time is spent constantly trying to contact candidates to get answers to self-designed surveys with questions not typically asked. I did not have time to put that effort in this year so I apologize to any who were expecting that.



I was pleasantly surprised to discover people remembering this site even though I have not advertised it this year and all previous advertising was very limited.


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Proposition 2 Public Forum Part 2

For the Yes on Proposition 2 public forum I was able to turn in two written questions.

1) Please explain the observer certified EPA Reference Method 9. (This is how certified observers will visually look at smoke plumes to determine opacity, which according to this propostion the limit is 30%).

A: Observers will recieve two 1/2 day trainings in which they have to certify every six months. They must identify opacity correctly with in 5%, if they miss 2 they fail. They will be trained in Night/Day, Black/White smoke, and how to distinguish between Smoke/Steam.

Now, here is an instance where I would have like the opportunity to clarify the answer via follow up questioning as in my research one really cannot acurately determine opacity without the sun.

2) When do air quality alerts most often occur? (An air quality alert is declared when the PM concentration reaches the onset level and is expected to remain at that level for 12 hrs)

A: Alerts most often happen when its cold outside, when people are home more and woodburning is used most. Also, there are daily peaks at 9am and 10pm.

During the panel I had new questions that I was unable to submit but after they ended I spoke with one of the panel member, Cathy Cahill. The Q & A is as follows:

Q. Can an increase to “sick days” be attributed to other factors then just wood smoke?

A. The health effects are directly related to the Total PM 2.5 mass which is made up of automobiles, diesel, ammonium nitrate, sulfate, woodsmoke and unexplained particles. So, yes other factors could play into the “sick day” health effects.

Q. Why do the EPA guidelines matter anyway? Why should we care?

A. They are set to protect health, based on studies that began in the 90’s.

Q. Really, what is the EPA threat? Is it tied to money?

A. Yes it ties into money. Ms. Cahill has a presentation outlining the EPA threat here. (What's Smoking Now? Fairbanks Air Quality and PM2.5
Presented by Cathy Cahill)


You can find more information at: www.healthyairnow.org

Next I hope to focus more on the other side of the issue. I’m still working on gathering that information.

No comments:

Post a Comment